Re: RFC2518 issues IF_AND_AUTH and LOCK_SEMANTICS

IF_AND_AUTH: This issue was raised by Geoff.
LOCK_SEMANTICS:  This was apparently raised by the DeltaV design team.

Julian, your recommended solution goes counter to the solution
recommended by the people who raised these issues, as far as I can
tell. Both these issues were raised in order to strengthen the
requirement that authentication is required to use a lock
token, whereas you suggest loosening that requirement altogether.

So, with conflicting suggestions, we need more discussion and for
people to indicate which side they fall on.
  1. Authentication is required for lock token usage but the draft is
clear enough already.
  2. Authentication is required for lock token usage but the draft needs
clearer text (please suggest where, what text).
  3. Authentication MAY be required for lock token usage (see text
below).
  4. Other -- please describe your position.

This is a call for consensus -- I'll respond separately with my own
opinion.

For reference, here are the most salient sections of the existing -bis
draft:

section 6.3:
"Having a lock token provides no special access rights. Anyone can find
out anyone else's lock token by performing lock discovery. Locks MUST
be enforced based upon whatever authentication mechanism is used by the
server, not based on the secrecy of the token values."

section 7.6 the "authorized" is re-emphasized:
In order to prevent these collisions a lock token MUST be submitted by
an authorized principal for all locked resources that a method may
change or the method MUST fail.

Here's some proposed text to consider adding to section 7.6  if we lean
towards option 3 above (note this would also require changing the text
in the above quoted paragraphs):

Servers MAY restrict usage of the lock token to exactly the
authenticated principal who created the lock.  Servers MAY also allow
other privileged authenticated principals or even unauthenticated
principals to use the lock token.

Lisa