Re: What is actually locked?

Patrik Fältström wrote:

> It seems Julian is talking about locking always being on the resource,
> regardless of what binding was used. This imply it is completely
> irrelevant what binding has happend, what URI is used etc to reach the
> resource. If the resource is locked it is.

Correct. IMHO this follows clearly from RFC2518 (specifically the
introduction of locking (section 6) and write locks (section 7))...:

"The ability to lock a resource provides a mechanism for serializing
access to that resource. Using a lock, an authoring client can provide a
reasonable guarantee that another principal will not modify a resource
while it is being edited. In this way, a client can prevent the "lost
update" problem."

"A write lock MUST prevent a principal without the lock from
successfully executing a PUT, POST, PROPPATCH, LOCK, UNLOCK, MOVE,
DELETE, or MKCOL on the locked resource. All other current methods, GET
in particular, function independently of the lock."

BTW: at some point in the previous discussions it was claimed that
RFC2518 uses the terms "URI" and "resource" interchangeably, and thus
there was no explicit distinction. I disagree with that point of view.
If there are places where RFC2518 is sloppy in this regard, we should
identify those and try to fix them in RFC2518bis.

Regards, Julian