RE: OPTIONS * (Was: RE: Comments on draft-dusseault-http-patch-00)

Well, obviously I've been reluctant to encourage implementors
to diverge from HTTP, given my assumptions that OPTIONS * is
required in HTTP/1.1.  But if that's the general consensus,
we need to know.

Everybody, please consider, reply, and discuss:

1. Does HTTP/1.1 require support for OPTIONS *?  Would a HTTP
server that considered OPTIONS * to be a "bad request" be a
compliant HTTP/1.1 server?

2. If the answer to 1 is YES, then should WebDAV servers get
special dispensation to leave OPTIONS * unimplemented?

3. If the answer to 2 is NO, then should WebDAV servers be
exempt from showing WebDAV support in OPTIONS *?

Bonus question: Can you report on any client or server HTTP or
WebDAV implementations that do, or do not, support or use
OPTIONS *?

It may be premature to ask these questions, if the questions are
poorly formed, but at least by asking the questions we may get
feedback about how to properly ask the questions.

Implementation report: Xythos WebFile Server *does* support OPTIONS *
(and it is java servlet based, surprise surprise).  Xythos WebFile
Client does not use OPTIONS *, but it does use "OPTIONS /".

Lisa