From: Geoffrey M Clemm [mailto:geoffrey.clemm@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 5:29 AM
To: Julian Reschke
Cc: Lisa Dusseault; 'Wallmer, Martin'; www-webdav-dasl@w3.org
Subject: Re: "URI properties", Was: SEARCH for displayname

Like Julian, I have no memory of Lisa raising this issue on
the mailing list (at least, not since the activity on the BIND
protocol was resumed a year ago). A pointer to that email would be
appreciated,
since both Julian and I work very hard to maintain accurate issue
lists and to make sure that all issues that are raised on the mailing
list are addressed.  There was a discussion in the design team 4 or
5 years ago, about whether the spec should leave the question of where
the state of a binding resides up to the server (i.e. is it in the
parent collection, the child resource, or both), and the consensus
was that effective interoperability required us to specify where
this resides, so that access control and locking behavior could be
defined (i.e. was the removal/addition of a binding controlled by
a lock/acl on the parent collection, on the child resource, or both).
The choice of the parent collection was motivated by the use case
of two bindings to the same resource in a single collection, and by
the use case of different collections needing to give different names
to a single resource.