Re: WebDAV on BEA WebLogic (in support of WebCT Vista)me

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 09:15:58PM -0400, Frank Lowney wrote:
> However, I am curious about whether this reasoning applies equally to
> MacOS X as it does to the preceeding operating system called MacOS
> Classic.
>
> Can anyone here comment on the aptness of this "reason" for this
> phenomena.  After all, the built-in MacOS X facility for WebDAV does
> not exhibit these symptoms under Apache or WebSTAR webservers.  I was
> of the impression that MacOS X did not use forked files as Classic
> did.

MacOSX still supports the use of resource forks and Finder meta-data
(Type/Creator codes and a number of bits), it's just somewhat
depreciated going forward. Applications ported to OSX using the
Carbon Framework are more likely to use them for backwards-compatability,
though that's not a hard-and-fast rule. "Bundles" out of the NeXT
heritage, are the flat-file construct that is trying to superceed
resource forks, etc.

HFS+ has native support for Unix permissions, Finder-like attributes,
and resource forks. I think the hack you cite is invoked to support them
on some other file systems.  However, examination of the mkisofs
man page reveals the existence of a dozen or so incompatible schemes
for supporting resource forks and Finder meta-data on non-Apple filesystems.
so a lack of consistency is hardly surprising, I'm afraid...