RE: new issue: DAV:displayname

If I understand you correctly the server would set an initial value, and
then treat the property as dead. The result would be that unless a client
resets the DAV:displayname, it will always be the last segment of the
request URL where the resource was initially created (even if it was MOVEd
later). I think that sounds even worse than (1).

> My impression is that (2) is still a better approach.

Yes.

> Are there issues for mapping this to a file system?

Not really. A server that supports setting of dead properties (such as
Apache/moddav) doesn't have any issue. A server that does not support dead
properties on a certain resource will just reject the PROPPATCHH attempt.