  From: w3c-dist-auth-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-dist-auth-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of Lisa Dusseault
  Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 11:04 PM
  To: 'Julian Reschke'; w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
  Subject: RE: URI scheme uniqueness

  I don't object to this being an issue, and I'm happy to see suggestions
for new wording.  However, I think we're missing something here.  You've
already pointed out that using an IETF-registered schema doesn't guarantee
uniqueness which is true, but the wording below suggests that you can't have
uniqueness without having IETF registration. Rather, IETF registration and
uniqueness are completely independent qualities.

  As a counter-example, consider if you invented the schema "greenbytes:",
in which you might find a URI like
"greenbytes:www.greenbytes.com:1234-5678-9012:3365008, where the first part
is the schema name, the second part is a domain name, the third part is a
network card ID, and the fourth part is a non-reusable sequence number.
This schema has the quality of allowing globally unique URIs to be selected
without being IETF registered.

  Lisa