URI scheme uniqueness (was Re: rfc2518-bis-04 issues (part 2))

Julian Reschke wrote:

>>><Julian Reschke> 02-C05 Section 6.3, p3
>>>Replace
>>>"However resources are free to return any URI scheme so long as it meets the
>>>

>>>uniqueness requirements."
>>>by
>>>"However servers are free to use any IETF-registered URI scheme so long as
>>>

>>>it meets the uniqueness requirements."
>>>(If it's not IETF-registered, I don't see how it can possibly meet the
>>>uniqueness criterium).
>>>

>><Jason Crawford> I'd vote to leave the text as it is.
>>

><Julian Reschke> Again, please help me understand...:
>
>1) Are you suggesting that to for a scheme to be IETF-registered is not a
>requirement? In which case I'll argue that by definition there can't be any
>uniquess guarantee otherwise.

<Elias Sinderson> It's a given that any IETF-registered URI scheme will
meet the stated uniqueness requirements. I don't believe that it is the
only way to do so, however. For example, private intranets may utilize
their own, homegrown system to guarantee uniquenes. It's also entirely
possible that, in the distant future, there may be alternative means to
accomplish this on the public internet. Perhaps something along the
lines of the following would be acceptable?

"...are free to use any URI scheme so long as it meets the stated
uniqueness requirements. One way to accomplish this is to use
IETF-registered URI schemes."

This language seems specific enough to be unambiguous while flexible
enough to allow for other mechanisms to ensure uniqueness. The drawback
of not taking a firmer position on this is that it opens the possibility
that someone will implement some half-baked idea and it won't meet the
necessary requirements...

Cheers,
Elias