Re: Re (2): Move and Delete (was: bind draft issues)

On Saturday, 03/08/2003 at 07:25 CET,
nnEdgar___at___EdgarSchwarz.de@smallcue.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I don't have time to follow the discussion in detail at the moment
> but this post provokes a comment.
> "Clemm, Geoff" <gclemm@rational.com> wrote:
> >    From: Brian Korver [mailto:briank@xythos.com]
> >
> >    Other than loops, what are the problems unique to multiple
> >    bindings and partial MOVE?
> >
> > One example was posted in the message below:

What Geoff describes is very very very bad.  But I hope that even the
folks that can't implement atomic DELETE are not considering making
their incremental delete this broken.   Even if you can't implement
atomic delete, you still can't delete bindings that would still be
accessable after you did it atomically if you could.    If this prohibition
is
not clear from the spec, then the spec needs to be fixed.

> >    So we're not saying that "best effort deletion" is always a bad
thing,
> >    but we are saying that "best effort deletion" is a bad thing when
> >    you care about multiple bindings to the same resource.

> Goeff, I don't think your scenario is valid for our discussion.

I tend to agree, but it sounds like it might be for a different reason
than what I think you're saying below. (omitted)  My reason is mentioned
above.
It basically is that I think (hope) that no server is considering doing
what Geoff mentions and the non-atomic folks are only considering
something more benign if they can't do the DELETE atomicly.  I'm
hoping that the discussion is only "that more benign behavior" vs
"true atomic DELETE".

Phone: 914-784-7569,   ccjason@us.ibm.com
I do not check nn621779@smallcue.com