RE: RFC2518 issue: requiring ETags (Atlanta wg mtg)

It's still possible to make a stronger statement about Etag support in
2518bis.  Servers that are compliant with that, whatever RFC number it
will be (maybe '4???'? )  must support strong Etags. Servers that are
compliant with RFC2518 don't need to.

I'm guessing Some clients will interoperate against both RFC2518 servers
and RFC2518bis servers since they're very similar. But eventually,
clients will be written that want the guarantees of "bis", including
Etag support, and these clients will prefer to interoperate with servers
supporting "bis".

lisa