RE: Microsoft patent on typing Webdav properties

Well,

looking for "webdav" I discovered some more, such as:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=/netahtm
l/search-adv.htm&r=2&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&p=1&p=1&S1=webdav&OS=webdav&RS=webdav:

"A method is described of converting a file system path corresponding to a
resource to a uniform resource locator (URL) corresponding to the resource.
After receiving the file system path, the following information is obtained
related to the resource located in the inputted file system path: the
protocol prefix, domain name, the port number if different than default, and
the URL fixed subdirectory structure if any. This information may be
obtained, for example, by reference to a URL provided to a conversion
module. The URL is then manufactured by first assigning the protocol prefix
as the left-most characters of the URL. Then, the domain name, a colon ":"
and port number if different than default, any subdirectory structure, and a
latter portion of the file system path are added to the protocol prefix.
Finally, any back slashes ".backslash." are converted to forward slashes "/"
to complete the conversion to the URL."

I guess any Web server running on a Windows system violates this one.

The search also turns up patent claims about ACLs, DASL (SQL) and storing
properties in property files. Needless to say, all filed by Microsoft in
1999.

Is this the reason why Microsoft went away from standards work back then?