RE: Using If and not failing

To be clear, I did not object to the proposal per se.  I've been echoing
the recommendation that it's at least a good interim solution, and I
only tweaked the solution you call the "final form" in my recent emails.

However, I felt the proposal wasn't sufficient to completely solve the
interoperability problems.  I still worry on that point, and I'm *not*
the only one.

 - Jim W has expressed concern that any proposal that allows the If
header to succeed regardless of server state is weakening the ability of
the If header to correct the client's incorrect state. That objection
applied both to a "here are all my locktokens" approach and to the
proposals showing how to work around the current syntax.

 - Dan Brotsky saw these proposals and still felt strongly that a much
more simple approach was necessary for long-term interoperability.

In other words, we're not done yet.  We are still refining our
understanding of various issues and proposals surrounding the If header.
The If header still has other problems:

 - the "ignored clauses" that the list decided shouldn't be ignored
 - Uncertainty or at least implementation differences in what locks are
required to do various operations
 - Confusion on whether multiple lists are ANDed together (tagged list)
or ORed together (no-tag)
 - You(geoff) suggested dropping the no-tag-list production (Oct 7 2002)
 - Jason suggested that no-tag-list production always apply to
Request-URI only (Oct 12 2002)

We still need more input from more WG members.

Lisa