Reconsidering DTDs and validity (was RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-webdav-rfc2518bis-03.txt)

Are there any more opinions on the use of DTDs?  Has the consensus reversed?
I thought the consensus was clear way back when I made the change to move
from a specific list of children to the definition form of ANY (where
appropriate) plus a list of possible children in English rather than DTD.

Originally, there was a lot of discussion that overall seemed to favour DTDs
that allowed both extensibility and validation.  FOr example:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/1999OctDec/0242.html -
Juergen Reuter
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/1998JulSep/0055.html - Jim
Amsden
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2000OctDec/0082.html -
James Hunt
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2001OctDec/0201.html -
Julian Reschke
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/1998JulSep/0060.html -
Lauren Wood
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/1998JulSep/0061.html   ^

Are we back to the idea of throwing out the DTDs altogether?  That would be
OK by me. Sometimes English can be more accurate than a limited formal
language.

Say, why do so many names on this list begin with 'J'?  Clearly Geoff should
spell his name Jeoff & I should change my name to Jelisa or something.

Lisa