Re: How do you get the URL of a MS web folder?

Michael Datuin wrote:

>This is a another question regarding Microsoft's
>webfolders.
>
>I see that when you create a web folder under WinXP,
>and you open up the "My Network Places" dialog, you
>can see your current list of network connections
>and web folders, along with the URL that is associated
>with each web folder on your system.  The URL appears
>in the "Comments" column of the dialog box if you have
>the display settings set to "Details" (as opposed to
>Thumbnails, Tiles, Icons, and List).  Also, if you
>right-click on one of your web folders and select
>"Properties", another dialog box will appear showing
>the URL as the "Target" of your web folder.
>
>What APIs are available to get the "Target" or
>"Comments" strings?  Or more directly, how do you
>obtain the URL "programmatically" via a VC++ Win32
>API to get the URL of your webfolder.
>
>I have sample VC++ code that I whipped up that opens
>that displays the common file dialog.  If you navigate
>via the dialog to your web folder, and select a file
>(for example, a text document), on the return from
>selecting the file and the closing of the dialog,
>the path/filename is set to something like
>
>  c:\Documents and Settings\datuin\Local
>Setting\Temporary Internet
>Files\Content.IE.5\8X6FOLYF\test[1].txt
>
>Now, if I make modifications to this file and want to
>save the file back to the web folder, I don't know
>programmatically where/how to put the file back.
>Clearly, I can't just save the file back to the
>above directory on my PC.  I have to do a "put" back
>to the original URL.
>
>Actually, in my application, I would rather have the
>user navigate to the web folder using the common
>file dialog, instead of having them enter in the URL
>and making my code remember the URL.  The common file
>dialog must "somehow" know that the folder the user
>navigated to is a web folder, right?  So, all I care
>about is where (i.e., the URL) the user wants to save
>(or open) his file.  Does such an API exist?
>
>Sorry if this isn't the right forum to ask this
>question.  I don't know of a MS-related forum/resource
>to ask webfolder-related questions.
>
>Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks!

This is all accessed through the shell COM interfaces. To my knowledge,
the Webfolders UI is implemented
as a shell extension. You interact with it like with any other shell
extension. Nothing specific to Webfolders,
except that the target is a URL and not a file.
Point your newsreader to news.microsoft.com, the newsgroup is

-Joe