RE: how to specify extension features in response to OPTIONS request

Also accidentally caught by the spam filter.

- Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Lisa Dusseault [mailto:ldusseault@xythos.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 6:23 PM
To: 'Greg Stein'; 'Julian Reschke'; 'Sohn, Matthias'
Cc: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org; w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Subject: [Moderator Action] RE: how to specify extension features in
response to OPTIONS request

> There was some amount of consensus a while back on the DAV WG
> list that the
> DAV: header should allow Coded-URLs in it. mod_dav took this
> approach, so an
> OPTIONS response looks like:

If Greg's approach is taken to avoid conflicts, then I see no strong reason
to prefer live properties over OPTIONS header values in the general case.

However, if the feature is one which relates only to some resources (e.g.
all collections support the feature, or all resources in the directory foo,
etc) then it might be helpful to advertise support for the feature only on
those resources, using a live property as suggested.

OPTIONS * still seems to be the most appropriate place to marshall
server-wide features, with the conflict-avoidance caveats already mentioned.

Lisa