From: Frank Lowney [mailto:flowney@mail.gcsu.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 4:58 PM
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Subject: [Moderator Action] WebDAB Matrix

I was looking around the WebDAV site (www.webdav.org) for information
that guide me and my team to a strategy for deploying WebDAV among
our user base.  I did not find what I was looking for so I'm
approaching this list w/ my questions.  If these questions should go
elsewhere, please let me have an address.

Server environment: WebSTAR V on MacOS X Server 10.1.3

User base: A group of independent knowledge workers (university
faculty) with a heterogeneous array of tools and a highly variable
propensity to acquire new tools (every possible combination and
permutation of: some will, some won't, some can, some can't).

One of the things that I was hoping to find was a matrix of what
applications could be used on what platforms with what limitations.
For example, I have heard that Microsoft Office supports WebDAV but
it's unclear as to whether that statement refers to:

Mac: Office 2001 or Office X
Win: Office 2000 or Office XP

...and to what extent that support goes and how exactly one uses
these apps to work with a WebDAV server.

The second question I was looking for guidance on has to do with how
I might use WebDAV access with a fairly large group (50 or so) of
editors who all work on various parts of a single web site.  The goal
is to give them access that is easier for them than FTP yet keeps
them apart (professor A cannot see or write to professor B's area and
vice-versa).

Thanks in advance for any light that you may be able to shed on this.
Dr. Frank Lowney  flowney@mail.gcsu.edu
     Director, Electronic Instructional Services, a unit of the
     Office of Information and Instructional Technology,
     Professional Pages: http://www.gcsu.edu/oiit/eis/
     Personal Pages: http://www.faculty.de.gcsu.edu/~flowney
Voice: (478) 445-5260
We don't make instruction effective, we make effective instruction
more accessible.