Re: DAV-Enabled field (was RE: A case for GETSRC)

Am Mittwoch den, 6. März 2002, um 15:52, schrieb Clemm, Geoff:

> [...]
> There are some points that are worth addressing, such as "how can a
> server tell a client that a corresponding tree of authoring resources
> is available".  I (and I'm sure Julian) would agree that this is the
> kind of thing we need to fix about the DAV:source mechanism.  In this
> case, a straightforward approach is to define that the DAV:source of
> a collection is another collection containing all the sources for
> members of that collection.

If there is a single source for a resource, the client is free to
GET the source and store it locally under the name of the resource.
It then only needs to remember the source uri for the PUT when
changes need to be applied. I think this is trivial for a client
to do.

So, with a little effort on the client side, the user will experience
the same behaviour as with the broken Translate header.

The problem to solve is when to add sources to a copied tree. Where
shall the client perform the PUT? Maybe this is something for the
parent collection to hint at. For new collections, this could be
recursively applied when uploading changes to a server.

//Stefan