Re: A case for GETSRC (or other mechanism to that effect)

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 02:11:02PM -0800, CJ Holmes wrote:
> >Quite frankly, if a person cannot implement that in a trivial amount of time
> >then I'd like to know how their Web server manages to generate the dynamic
> >content in the first place.
>
> If it is so trivial, why isn't it implemented?  It's not because the
> programmers are simply lazy.  Look at all the stuff the *is*
> implemented wrt DAV.  Even fairly hard stuff like locks and storing
> arbitrary properties is implemented.  But this one trivial thing is
> not.  The *concept* is simple, yet it remains unimplemented after
> three years.

At least with mod_dav users, I think it's not been implemented yet
because you don't *need* the source property to be able to author
dynamic resources, since you can say to your users "use URL 'A' for
authoring and URL 'B' for browsing".  People may be used to that anyway:
"use this ftp:// URL for authoring, and this http:// one browsing".

Zope's DAV support does (or did) include support for the source
property, although, according to this thread, not in a useful form:

http://mailman.lyra.org/pipermail/cadaver/2001-September/000231.html

joe