From: Erik Seaberg [mailto:erk@flyingcroc.com]
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2002 2:33 PM
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org
Subject: Re: Source header instead of property?

Oh, I don't mean a Translate-like request header that asks for the
source resource at an overloaded URI, just that sending the source URI
in a response header could be a smaller burden than having every
output resource generator implement PROPFIND just for the sake of
answering a request for {DAV:}source for output resources that have no
other noteworthy DAV properties.  Like so:

c> HEAD /cgi-bin/foo.pl?bar=1 HTTP/1.1
c> Host: www.example.com
c> Authorization: Basic ZXJrOnBhc3N3b3Jk
c>

s> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
s> Content-Type: text/html
s> Source: http://www.example.com/cgi-src/foo.pl
s> 	   http://www.example.com/cgi-src/MyClass.pm
s>

c> GET /cgi-src/foo.pl HTTP/1.1
c> Host: www.example.com
c> Authorization: Basic ZXJrOnBhc3N3b3Jk
c>

s> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
s> Content-Type: text/x-perl
s>