RE: A case for GETSRC (or other mechanism to that effect)

>Why is it easier to get the server to implement GETSRC
>(which requires it both to locate, and then retrieve the
>contents of the source) than it is to get the server
>to implement PROPFIND <DAV:source>, where it just has to
>locate the source, and return its URL?

Well, you can't always "just locate the source".  If the source
really is in a different location than the "normal" URI then your DAV
module probably has no knowledge of it.  Which means now you have to
teach JSP to be DAV-aware and answer PROPFIND requests, or teach your
DAV module all about what URIs are served by which other modules and
how the two URI spaces map to each other.

In the more common case where "GET x" is dynamically generated from
some source at the same URI, then there's hardly anything to be done
at all to support GETSRC.  All of the same machinery that normally
locates a file works just like it did before, which is the beauty of
it.  The only differences are:

	1. The security module checks to make sure that the user has
permission to "GETSRC x".  In Apache, this is just a matter of adding
GETSRC to the list of methods a user is allowed to use within a given
realm.

	2. The PHP/JSP/Whatever plug-in doesn't try to pick up the
request, because it doesn't know what to do with a GETSRC method.
(Just like it doesn't try to claim anything with PROPFIND or DELETE
methods.)  In fact, all plug-ins that work only with GET, HEAD, and
POST methods just ignore the request entirely, which is what you want
for serving "source" data.

	3. Either the DAV module can claim the request, or the
mechanism that serves static files can serve the request.  In our
case (WebSTAR) we would probably just let the "default" plug-in do
it, since that module normally serves static content without
interpretation and it supports byte ranges, which is handy.  There's
no point in duplicating that code in the DAV plug-in.