Re: IETF meeting: Refreshing locks

Am Sonntag den, 24. Februar 2002, um 00:53, schrieb Clemm, Geoff:

> The paragraph referred to was in section 9.8:
>
>    The timeout counter SHOULD be restarted any time an owner of
> the lock
>    sends a method to any member of the lock, including unsupported
>    methods, or methods which are unsuccessful.  However the lock
> MUST be
>    refreshed if a refresh LOCK method is successfully received.
>
> Unfortunately, I cannot remember the rationale for removing this
> paragraph, although it might have been that servers aren't actually
> doing this in practice?

There were several issues in this:
1. unsupported methods might not even be seen by the WebDAV server
    application (or recognized as WebDAV methods).
2. Refreshing locks on PROPFIND by _any_ client (PROPFIND does not
    check on If: headers) will give unpredictable timeout behavior.
    Checking with PROPFIND if a lock is still there has counterproductive
    side effects.

That's the, most likely incomplete, list I remember.

//Stefan