From: Julian Reschke [mailto:julian.reschke@gmx.de]
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2002 1:30 PM
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org
Subject: RE: HOW_TO_IDENTIFY_LOCK_OWNER

Interesting idea.

However:

1) Let's assume that we adopt something along the line the
DAV:contact-URI-set I proposed earlier, but put it *into* the existing
DAV:owner element. We would just define that if a DAV:owner contains
DAV:contact-URI-set, it's format must adhere to our "DTD".

2) Existing clients which do not add DAV:contact-URI-set aren't affected at
all.

3) When will existing clients use DAV:contact-URI-set? I'd say never,
because I just thought of this property name :-), and they shouldn't anyway
because it's an element in the DAV: namespace (which is reserved for
official WebDAV stuff).

4) The main problem will be new (updated) clients that want to support the
new feature, while maintaining compatibility with old versions. The cleanest
way would be not to interfere with the old element. Old stuff stays in
DAV:lockinfo/DAV:owner, new stuff is put into
DAV:lockinfo/DAV:contact-URI-set.

5) To find out whether 4) is a problem, we would have to check all existing
clients that have the problem of assuming some specific format. MS Office (I
think) always displays the concatenated text content of all text nodes, so
it would still display something useful, however it might not look pretty.