RE: root of a lock, was HOW_TO_IDENTIFY_LOCK_OWNER

At 5:42 PM -0500 1/13/02, Jason Crawford wrote:
>  > C) The root resource of a lock should be discoverable.
>
>I don't want to distract the discussion, but why is this necessary?  Do we
>have a specific reason?

In addition to Geoff's answer:

If you are an administrator trying to unlock a resource obtained by
someone else, you have to be able to figure out which resource to
unlock.  You can't unlock an internal member of a collection that's
locked by a depth-inifinity lock without knowing which collection was
actually locked.  Then you can decide whether unlocking that is the
right thing to do.

     dan
--
Daniel Brotsky, Adobe Systems