RE: Collections and Request-URIs

Yes, I would want the statement to hold, independent of what kind of
resource (if any) is currently identified by that URI.  I also would
prefer a MUST over a SHOULD.

From: Dan Brotsky [mailto:dbrotsky@adobe.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2002 12:06 PM
To: Clemm, Geoff
Cc: w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org
Subject: Re: Collections and Request-URIs

On Tuesday, June 18, 2002, at 04:49 AM, Clemm, Geoff wrote:
> I agree with Julian (i.e. that trailing slashes are allowed by
> the syntax), but I also have argued vigorously that the RFC-2518
> "guidance" is incorrect, and the next revision of RFC-2518 should
> simply state "a URI with a trailing slash SHOULD identify the
> same resource as the URI with the trailing slash removed".

But do you also want this to be the case for non-collection resources?
Perhaps you mean "if a URI that ends in a trailing slash identifies a
DAV-compliant collection resource, then the same URI with the trailing
slash removed SHOULD identify the same resource."  I would actually go
for MUST in that case, although such a change would break some existing
servers.

     dan