RE: What is DASL for?

It's important to understand that DASL consists of

a) a framework for the HTTP SEARCH method, enabling different kinds of query
grammars, and

b) one specific (and mandatory) query grammar, specialized in searching on
WebDAV properties (it has a single function for content matching, but this
is optional).

> * To enable searching through a file system to find files that match
>   certain properties (more like "Find Files" under windows") in a
>   way that is faster than the client doing PROPFIND etc on each
>   individual file.

Definitively.

> If the latter, I would implement the query engine without using indexes,
> and just do the file system walk at the server end and check the various
> conditions to find matching resources.

Well, that's up to you. Even if a DAV:basicsearch query affects both dead
(stored) and live (computed) properties, it may be able to come up with a
better query strategy that does not require a tree walk. See for instance
Elias' paper at [1].

[1] <http://dav.cse.ucsc.edu/dasl/mod_dav_dasl.pdf>