RE: etags in If: headers (was: 54th IETF Meeting Information, and RFC2518 open issues)

On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Clemm, Geoff wrote:

> exceptional case like this (i.e. losing your lock).
>
> So until a use case is identified that cannot be easily handled by
> other machinery, I suggest we limit the If header to just lock tokens.

Well, using also ETag verification allows consistency check. If you still
have your lock and the ETag has changed, then it's because something nasty
happened on the server side (as the ETag represents more or less a version
tag of the resource).
As it won't cost anything, I don't understand why you want to remove a
consistency check.

--
Yves Lafon - W3C