Re: 54th IETF Meeting Information, and RFC2518 open issues

Am Montag den, 22. April 2002, um 20:01, schrieb Lisa Dusseault:

>> Having never encountered a client using them, I propose to
>> drop ETags in IF headers.
>
> OK; if we drop ETags in If headers how are servers intended to handle
> requests using the old syntax, or do you believe that is not an
> issue (if
> so, why)?

We can handle this similar to the "keepalive" body for COPY requests.

Do we know a client using IF headers with ETags? If it is a feature
not used by anyone, it has not proven interoperability and we should
change/discard it.

If we discover that it is used, or if someone can explain the use
case and benefits, that is a completely different matter.

Our server is able to handle the current IF header syntax, so I
have no problem with the current specification. I just think that
cutting away unused features will increase interoperable
implementations.

//Stefan