RE: WebDAV property schema lookup

This situation illustrates a fundamental weakness with WebDAV in respect to
enterprise document management systems. The WebDAV philosophy assumes that
the client is controlling the properties of a resource/document and the
server mearly acts as a store for the property information. Wheras a DM
server maintains extensive metadata for a given resource especially when
vertical market applications have been built on top of the DM system. WebDAV
does not provide a methodology by which this metadata can be exposed. As
such DM systems must still construct proprietary client applications causing
users to perform authoring in the authoring tool while performing DM
specific actions in the DM client.

At this point in time it still makes more sense for DM systems to construct
tight integration mechanisms within the context of the authoring
application. This gives the DM system the ability expose its own metadata to
the user during document creation/editing.

WebDAV is a very attractive protocol but this one limitation is inhibiting
its extensive use within the enterprise DM community.