Re: MSIE question related to WebDAV

Alan Kent <ajk@mds.rmit.edu.au> wrote:

> This is not really a WebDAV question, but more of a
> question of integrating WebDAV nicely with Web
> browsers (such as MSIE).
>
> I think the answer is no, but is there any way to tell
> Microsoft Internet Explorer (or Netscape for that
> matter I guess) that a URL in a <A HREF="..."> or
> similar is in a DAV folder, so it should use the
> application to natively load the document.
>
> For example, if I have a Word document in a DAV web
> folder, and I have a web page with a <A HREF="...">
> pointing to the document, then if the user clicks on
> the link, IE will download the file, put it into a
> temporary directory, then start up Word on the
> downloaded file. So Word does not talk to the WebDAV
> repository. I would rather give Word the URL and say
> 'hey, you load it yourself'. That way Word can save
> the changes directly back to the Web DAV folder.
>
> My best solution so far is to put on the web page a
> URL to a document that contains the URL of the DAV
> resource to be edited, give the first URL a file
> extension of .xyz, get the user to associate a small
> program to the .xyz file extension which starts up
> Word with the second URL on the command line.
>
> Any other brilliant ways of doing this without having
> to reconfigure the user's web browser first?

For an IE-specific solution you can use the FOLDER attribute of an href.

The description is given here
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/behaviors/overview/WebFolder.asp

As far as I am aware there is no equivalent in Netscape.

Regards,

Tim Ellison
Java Technology Centre, MP146
IBM UK Laboratory, Hursley Park, Winchester, UK. SO21 2JN
tel: +44 (0)1962 819872  internal: 249872  MOBx: 270452