RE: "nothing left to cut" (was: Re: [ACL] Owner issues)

There are several very different issues here.

The "cut until there is nothing left to cut" refers to protocol semantics
(i.e. what a server is required to do), *not* the text in the protocol
document.

It is of course essential to supplement the normative statements
(i.e. those with a "MUST") with as much descriptive text as is
necessary to make the meaning clear.  In particular, with descriptive
text, it is better to err on the side of "too much" than "too little".
So the criteria for descriptive text is "keep adding as long as the
net clarity of the document is increased".  (But there are
additions that can decrease the net clarity of the document, so
the criteria is not just "add as much as possible").

I believe that "minimizing the protocol semantics" and "maximizing
the protocol document descriptive text" are in fact complementary goals.

There is another issue, of whether you repeat the same normative
statement in different ways in different parts of the document.
In this case, I do believe that a particular normative statement should
appear
in exactly one place, but that descriptive text about that normative
statement can and should appear in several places in the document
(i.e. wherever it is useful to do so).