Re: Issue: ALLPROP_AND_COMPUTED

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 11:19:54AM -0700, Jim Whitehead wrote:
> My understanding of the rough sentiment of the working group is:
>
> 1) PROPFIND allprop requests with Depth infinity should be deprecated. That
> is, PROPFIND allprop with Depth infinity will remain in the WebDAV
> Distributed Authoring Protocol, but there will be a requirements added that
> new clients MUST NOT use this capability.  When existing clients are
> revised, they SHOULD be rewritten to avoid using PROPFIND allprop Depth
> infinity requests. This will only apply to PROPFIND allprop with Depth
> infinity -- PROPFIND allprop for Depth 0 and 1 will still be OK.

Toss the timing stuff. The revised text should simply state that clients
MUST NOT use the capability. Some existing clients will "not conform" for a
bit, but that is not our problem, and it probably won't be an issue anyways.

> 2) The default behavior of PROPFIND will be changed so it is Depth 0, not
> Depth infinity.

I agree with this one, but it could be a troublesome change. mod_dav
normally disallows Depth:infinity PROPFINDs (unless the server is confiured
to allow them), so maybe clients are used to sending a Depth:0 or 1. Hard to
say. The point is that a client that doesn't send a depth header, and
expects a depth of infinity is going to be very surprised by a Depth:0
response.

Cheers,
-g

--