From: w3c-dist-auth-request@w3.org
[mailto:w3c-dist-auth-request@w3.org]On Behalf Of Jim Amsden
Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2001 8:49 PM
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org
Subject: RE: Issue: BIND and MKRESOURCE

It sounds like you're trying to create a relationship between two different
resources that happen to have the same content. This is application
dependent behavior that should be enabled, but not necessarily supported by
WebDAV.  To do this you could create an empty resource for your new
properties and establish a link between the resources using application
specific properties. The protocol lets you do all of this, and your
application can maintian the semantics as needed.

                    "Adam Freeman"
                    <afreeman@lightsur       To:     "Clemm, Geoff"
<gclemm@Rational.Com>,
                    f.com>                    <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
                    Sent by:                 cc:
                    w3c-dist-auth-requ       Subject:     RE: Issue: BIND
and MKRESOURCE
                    est@w3.org

                    04/21/2001 11:06
                    PM
                    Please respond to
                    afreeman

Hi,
I guess what I am asking then is if something can be added to the spec that
will basically create a link from the copy to the original whose sole
purpose is to have different metadata associated with the link than the
original resource.  There may be a problem here with live properties but
maybe it's up to the people who would be using this property.  I guess it
would look something like this -->
>> Request:

MKRESOURCE /~whitehead/dav/spec08.ref HTTP/1.1
Host: www.ics.uci.edu

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<D:propertyupdate xmlns:D="DAV:">
   <D:set>
      <D:prop>
         <D:resourcetype><D:directref-metadata/></D:resourcetype>
         <D:reftarget>
            <D:href>/i-d/draft-webdav-protocol-08.txt</D:href>
         </D:reftarget>
      </D:prop>
   </D:set>
</D:propertyupdate>

>> Response:

HTTP/1.1 201 Created

A specific case I can think of where this would be useful is if you had
image data but had different operations on this image data depending on the
resource.  Like you might want to have different scaling operations applied
to the image data so you could look at it at different resolutions for each
of the different resources.  (In this case, the live property
DAV:getContentLength might be changed to reflect the different content that
was being returned, or maybe not depending on what the user of the property
wants).

What do you think?
- Adam