Re: Issue: PROP_ATTR

I agree with Greg. One clarification. The property name may need a
namespace too. In this case, the usual XML rules should apply. Define a
namespace for the name. WebDAV specifies what this means: replace the
namespace prefix with it namespace value and concatenate it to the front of
the property name to create the key. This rule however DOES NOT APPLY to
the value. It is up to the application to determine how to handle the
namespace and prefix for the value. If the value doesn't specify a
different namespace, again the usual XML rules apply and the property name
namespace is also applied to element tags in the value, if they use the
prefix. If this is not what is desired, the clients can put a different
namespace on the value.

The only issues is what does the server store for the property key? The
name after prefix substitution? The namespace and prefix so they can be
reconstructed on a PROPFIND? I think the server needs to store all
namespace information on the property name because WebDAV says propery
names are XML tags.

On storing the property name (key) with the value: if its in the value,
store it with the value. If not, don't.

                    Greg Stein
                    <gstein@lyra.org>        To:     WebDAV WG <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
                    Sent by:                 cc:
                    w3c-dist-auth-requ       Subject:     Re: Issue: PROP_ATTR
                    est@w3.org

                    04/13/2001 04:46
                    PM

The issue is that <theprop> provides the name. The stuff inside that is the
property value. Attributes on the root are associated with the name, not
the
value.

Haven't we always tried to use element nesting as a means of structure?
Don't we tend to say that attributes are modifiers for the element they
occur on?

I'd rather not see attributes on the name supported. On the value, sure.

Maybe people are thinking that the name element is stored with the value. I
see it more as the name is a key, which then maps to the value. Further,
the
name (key) is broken into a tuple of (localpart, namespace-uri, xml:lang),
so I don't see it as stored as XML with the rest of the value. And since it
isn't in XML format, it becomes very difficult to store things such as
attributes.

Let's say that you *do* choose to store the name with the XML value. How do
you manage the namespace and xml:lang. Does the property always have to
store a private namespace to ensure that you don't get prefix clashes? For
example:

  <P:myprop xmlns:P="private-namespace-prefix-marker">value</P:myprop>

(as opposed to collecting a union of all namespace prefixes and placing
them
 on a higher element)

In the store-with-value approach, you're duplicating the data from the key
to the value. Maybe the word "normalization" is too loud in my head :-),
but
I prefer not to do that.

Cheers,
-g