RE: Issue: PROP_ATTR

I agree that all attributes should be stored on the property value, but the
DAV:prop element belongs to WebDAV, and WebDAV should define its attributes
as well as content. We should keep attributes off the property name except
those defined by the protocol. Clients should be able to put whatever they
want on the value however they want. And servers should feel free to store
them any way they want.

                    "Clemm, Geoff"
                    <gclemm@Rational.C       To:     WebDAV WG <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
                    om>                      cc:
                    Sent by:                 Subject:     RE: Issue: PROP_ATTR
                    w3c-dist-auth-requ
                    est@w3.org

                    04/13/2001 02:34
                    PM

For dead properties, I don't see the issue wrt storing attribute values
for the root element.  If you are storing attributes on all the nested
elements (as I believe everyone has agreed), it should be trivial
to store it on the root element as well.

For live properties, where the server can take advantage of its knowledge
of the value space for the live property values, then I agree that it
could be an issue.

So I still prefer saying MUST on all attributes of dead properties,
and "as specified in the property definition" for live properties.