RE: PUT and Lock

[snipped]

> Nope.
>
> An If: header is a *pre* condition. The resource does not
> exist until after
> the PUT method completes.

Agreed.

> A precondition with a no-tag-list
> refers to all
> URIs involved in the operation. In this case: the Request-URI
> and the parent
> collection. The no-tag-list is asserting a lock token on
> *both* resources,
> the but the Request-URI does not have any locks associated
> with it (it is a
> null resource).

Err where does it state that a no-tag-list refers to all URIs involved in
the operation?

Section 7.6 "...the If header for all locked resources that a method may
interact with or the method MUST fail."

Well, the null-resource isn't locked, so this statement doesn't apply.

Section 9.4.1 No-tag-list states "If a method, due to the presence of a
Depth or Destination header is applied to multiple resources, then the
no-tag-list MUST be applied to each resource ...".

We don't need Depth or Destination headers with a PUT. So how do you
conclude that all URIs are involved?

I interpreted (IMHO) the no-tag-list to be applied to just the parent in
this scenario.

Perhaps 9.4.1. should state "...MUST be applied to each non-null resource"?

The IF header is meant to have similar functionality as the If-Match header,
which RFC2616 states "is to allow effecient updates" and "prevent
inadvertent modification of the wrong version of a resource". Well since the
PUT is being attempted on a null-resource, it can't be the wrong version and
the user obviously wants to udpate the null-resource, therefore "effecient
update" should be interpreted as "I cannot be effecient because it ain't
there, so go ahead".

As you've guessed, I interpreted it to be Kevin's Choice #1 (201).

PS Greg, do you return 412 for other operations that can also be performed
in this PUT-like scenario on a null-resource i.e. MKCOL and LOCK (LNR) ?

[snipped]

> Cheers,
> -g
>
> --