From: Tim_Ellison@uk.ibm.com [mailto:Tim_Ellison@uk.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, October 02, 2000 2:14 AM
To: [WEB-IDEAS] LISTMASTER
Cc: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Subject: [Moderator Action] Re: More on "Webify Word? No Way!"

Matthew,

I read and re-read your post, but couldn't quite figure out what position
you were taking on Word.

The IETF require the document submissions to be simple ASCII texts, however
you can appreciate that editing a living document in this fashion is
significantly more work than using the facilities of a word processor.  The
advantage is that it produces various forms of output -- I prefer to review
the Word version as I find it more readable, and Word can produce the ASCII
format required by IETF.

As Geoff points out, Word also supports WebFolders for collaborative
authoring, and it faithfully follows WebDAV RFC2518 in this respect.  Don't
confuse the fact that Word uses XML in its source with its use of WebDAV
protocol.

Regards,
Tim

"[WEB-IDEAS] LISTMASTER" <owner-web-ideas@certaintysolutions.com> on