Re: Lock

Ok... But the real issue is if I can make sure that the Lock command tells me,
if I'm trying to lock something that has been updated. There is nothing in the
webdav spec. that specifies this behaviour, right? Can I even rely on that if I
send the E-tag, that the server is supporting this behavour on a Lock command?
( this maybe applies to some other commands to... )
If the resource is changed, what reply can I expect from the server?

/Rickard

> I would like to voice *very* strong support for Greg's suggestion.  In
> the presence of versioning, date comparisons such as "Last-Modified"
> or "If-Unmodified-Since" do not provide you with reliable information
> about the accuracy of what you have in your cache.  In particular, if
> an older revision is made the default revision of a versioned
> resource, it will have an older date, but your cache should be updated
> with that older value.
>
> So ETag values should be the only ones you use to verify that you are
> seeing the current value of a resource.
>
> Cheers,
> Geoff
>
>    Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 03:34:19 -0800 (PST)
>    From: Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org>
>
>    On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Rickard Falk wrote:
>    > I have another 'client side' related question.
>    > When I'm issuing a Lock command, can I include the 'If-Unmodified-Since'
in
>    > the header ( http standard parameter...)?
>    > In our client a user can browse through allot of files, without having
them
>    > locked. Then when he wants to edit the file, he then presses a lock
button.
>    > But when he presses this button, the client must make sure that the file
>    > that he has read, is the latest one. Today I'm doing a Lock, then a Head
>    > command to se if the 'Last-Modified' parameter is changed since the Get.
It