Re: DAV: header values

Greg Stein wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In section 9.1 of RFC 2518, the spec states that 1#extend should be used
> for adding tokens. Two problems:
>
> 1) the RFC doesn't have a "*" to indicate any number of extensions

The "1#element" rule in RFC 2068, section 2.1 indicates a list of at
least 1 element, separated by one or more commas and with optional
linear white space.

> 2) "extend" is never specified. Specifically, what is the set of valid
>    characters?

See issue EXTEND_UNDEFINED on the WebDAV issues list at
http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/webdav/protocol/issues.html
(BTW., Greg, I could not find any hyper link on www.webdav.org that
points to this page.)

Jim Whitehead proposed to define:
> extend = token       ; token is defined in [HTTP].
(see
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/1999OctDec/0199.html).

> I plan to have some mod_dav-specific properties, and I'd like to note
> their existence in the DAV: field. The identifier could also be used by
> clients to detect the mod_dav version to work around problems or whatever.
> Anyhow... I want to return something like:
>
> DAV: 1,2,<http://apache.org/dav/1.0>
>
> Does anybody have an issue with defining "extend" to contain at least the
> characters which are valid in a Coded-URL?

Section 2.2 of RFC 2068 defines:
       token          = 1*<any CHAR except CTLs or tspecials>

          tspecials      = "(" | ")" | "<" | ">" | "@"

Hence, the above would be illegal, as it contains "<", ">", ":" and "/".
But one could propose to define (as I already did):

extend = token | quoted-string      ; token and quoted-string are
                                      defined in [HTTP].

That would allow to put a URL into double-quotes.

Bye,
     Juergen