Re: DELETE Semantics

"Geoffrey M. Clemm" wrote:

> > From: "Yaron Goland (Exchange)" <yarong@Exchange.Microsoft.com>
> >
> > DELETE nukes the resource.
>
> Another point of view is that DELETE
> on a URL ensures that the next GET on that URL returns the appropriate
> error status.  Furthermore, unless you want downlevel clients to trash
> the history of a versioned resource, DELETE *must* have UNBIND semantics
> rather than DESTROY semantics.

You don't even need to appeal to versioning for this one.  Suppose I use two DAV
clients, an editor with some minimal file-management features and a file manager
with full AdvCol support.  In the file manager, I do some BINDs to make one of
my documents appear in multiple places.  Then, while I'm editing, I decide I no
longer want it one of those places.  I'm in the editor, so I use its DELETE
command...and discover I've lost my document, no just the one binding I wanted
to remove.

--
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.|