RE: Bindings, Locks, and MOVE

I like everything that you say here, but the MOVE / COPY TO cases raise a
red flag for me.  We claim in the bindings spec that the MOVE semantics we
present  is equivalent to the COPY + fixup + DELETE semantics defined in RFC
2518.  But I doubt it when I look at this case.

Leave aside for a minute intuitions about what should really happen, and
just see what would follow from the underlying semantic model:

Suppose we define MOVE as "remove the binding identified by the Request-URI
and add the binding identified by the Destination header".

Now consider your case: /a/b.html and /x/y.html both point to resource R,
and I have an exclusive write lock on /a/b.html.  User2 tries to MOVE
/c/d.html (which points to some other resource S) to /x/y.html.  It seems
this should be possible, because all that is happening is that the binding
y.html in collection /x/ is being replaced with one that binds to a
different resource.  Nothing happens to resource R.

But if we use the COPY + fixup + DELETE semantics for MOVE, resource S would
have to be duplicated, overwriting R.  And this would not be allowed,
because R is locked.

Of course, we can legislate this problem away by, for example, accepting
your proposal that a MOVE or COPY like this one fail no matter which
semantics you use.  But I'm afraid other cases will turn up that reveal
inconsistencies between the 2 models of MOVE.

--Judy