RE: [Moderator Action] Questions on Webdav Servers, MOVE and dest LOCK

I think it was our intention that the advanced collection spec be consistent
with the lock semantics described in rfc 2518.  In fact, we explicitly say
this is the case in 4.2.11 LOCK and UNLOCK.

However, it's also true that we didn't consider interactions with locks when
we were defining MOVE semantics.  If you just read 4.2.10 MOVE and Bindings,
you would probably expect that if a resource was locked before a MOVE, it
would still be locked after the MOVE; and if it was not locked before a
MOVE, it would not be locked after the MOVE.

So I think we say or imply conflicting things in the advanced collections
spec, and we need to figure out what we really want our story to be.  I
agree that we need to address these cases explicitly.

My own feeling is that when you MOVE a resource, the result is the same
resource, with all the same properties, at a different location.  So it
should have the same lock that it had at the source location.

On the other hand, when we are thinking about simple resources inheriting
locks from their parent collections, and moving a bunch of these resources
around, it is certainly simpler to manage the locks if the simple resources
inherit locks dynamically from their parent collections -- so that when you
unlock a collection, you unlock all the resources that are in it at the time
of the unlock rather than the ones that were in it when the lock was applied
(which may reside anywhere by the time the lock is removed).

The earlier rationale for having MOVE destroy the lock on a resource is at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/1997JulSep/0177.html.