From: Jeff Baker [mailto:JBaker@novell.com]
Sent: Friday, July 09, 1999 3:47 PM
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Subject: [Moderator Action] LOCK and Office 2000

I'm having trouble getting Office 2000 to believe our Novell NetPublisher
server when it says that a document is locked: I open a Web folder file and
it always opens read-only. I've sniffed our response to the lock and
compared it with Microsoft's (IIS 5 on Jim Whitehead's UCI machine). There
are three differences:

1) Office 2000 doesn't specify a depth; the WebDAV spec says that "If no
Depth header is submitted on a LOCK request then the request MUST act as if
a "Depth:infinity" had been submitted." Because of this sentence in the
spec, we return a lock of depth infinity; IIS 5 returns a lock of depth 0.

2) Office 2000 requests and receives a timeout of "Second-120" from IIS 5.
Our server doesn't (yet) support timeouts, so we don't include a timeout XML
element in the response.

3) The lock token from IIS 5 differs from tokens specified in the spec. One
attempt to lock returned the token
"opaquelocktoken:AA9F6414-1D77-11D3-B825-00105A989226:214748364853" The
decimal digits after the last colon are not defined in the UUID spec
(ISO-11578) as far as I've been able to determine.

I've tried changing the server code to more closely match IIS's response, in
each of these three ways (depth, timeout, locktoken). In all three cases,
Office 2000 still opened the file read-only. My gut says that case 3) above
is what's causing the problem, but I don't know what it is that IIS puts, or
what Office 200 wants, in this value.

Does anybody have any information about this?

jbaker@novell.com