RE: references to references

Yes, there can be references to references.  The semantics is specified in
Section 4.14 of the latest draft, which you can find at:

http://www.ics.uci.edu/~ejw/authoring/collection/dt/CollSpec024.txt

That section does not explicitly address your question, since it assumes
that the semantics described elsewhere in the spec will hold.  I assume you
are talking about direct references, so for them:  If the No-Passthrough
header is used with a PROPFIND request on the first reference in a chain of
references, the value of DAV:reftarget that gets returned is the URI of the
next reference in the chain.  So it is possible to follow the chain step by
step to its end.

If the No-Passthrough header is not used, the properties returned will be
the properties of the target of the last reference in the chain.

--Judy