FW: WebDAV Collections: Rationale for Lock Semantics

Locking for references has turned out to be a very difficult area that the
advanced collections design team has been discussing for several weeks.  The
position we have reached is:

1. When locking a collection with Depth = infinity, if the collection
contains redirect references, the redirect references will be locked.  The
response will *not* include 302 response codes for redirect references.  The
response element for a redirect reference does include reftype and
reftarget, so that a referencing client can lock the reference's target if
it wants to.

Rationale: A 302 response code for a redirect reference would cause the
entire lock request to fail.  In effect, we would be making it impossible to
lock collections that contain redirect references.  This is unacceptable.
This means that down-level clients will not realize that the target resource
has not been locked, but we felt this consequence was less objectionable
than failing the lock altogether.  Although we could have chosen to require
the server to lock the target resource as well as the redirect reference,
this would have violated the purpose of redirect references, which is to
provide a level of referencing that is simple for servers to implement, and
in particular does not require them to operate on target resources that may
reside on other servers.

2. When the request-URI of a LOCK request identifies a redirect reference,
the reference will be locked.  Although most requests to redirect references
get 302 responses, there will *not* be a 302 response to a LOCK request.
This is for consistency with 1.

The attached note discusses our decisions about LOCK for direct references
and the rationale for them.

The No-Passthrough header can be used with any LOCK request, and causes the
lock to be applied to any direct references in the scope of the request,
rather than to their targets.