Re: Versioning goals doc

>"David G. Durand" wrote:
>
>> On the other hand, this is one of the things that I was very concerned that
>> the initial version requirements _not prevent_. The change-oriented
>> approach to collaboration is rapidly becoming mainstream in the CSCW
>> research world (5 papers in the upcoming conference this November).
>
>I think our fear is that change-based versioning is so radically different
>from
>revision-based versioning that we cannot support both models in the same
>protocol
>without giving up any hope of interoperability.

That may be true (although I myself don't believe it), but its truht is a
fact that implementation and standards definition attempts will discover,
and not a pre-requisite that should be part of our _goals_. The
requirements list the things that we _want_ to be true (and think are
accomplishable), not our guesses about how they might all balance out. We
may also rate them for importance, so that tradeoffs can be made in a
principled way once they are fully understood.

We should not be eliminating a model that is receiving growing attention
and implementation before we even start!

  -- David