Re: Namespace consistency

"Roy T. Fielding" wrote:

> >Yeah, but then you can't use the same URI for authoring as for browsing,
> >in which case you might as well author via FTP.
>
> I've been meaning to get back to this comment all week.  Using the same
> URI for authoring as for browsing should not be considered an "advantage"
> of WebDAV.  In fact, it isn't an advantage at all.

Of *course* it is! If you have an authoring tool that's integrated with your
browser (at least to the extent of being able to send it "go to this URI"
commands), that's going to make it a *lot* easier to test the content you've
developed.  If the browser can't use the same URI as the authoring tool, then
you're going to have to do the translation by hand (which is essentially what
I have to do with Netscape Composer today, since my ISP doesn't support HTTP
PUT), or else teach the authoring tool to remap URIs that it sends to the
browser (possible, but messy).

--
|John (Francis) Stracke    |My opinions are my own.| S/MIME supported  |