Re: Namespace consistency

H>From w3c-dist-auth-request@w3.org  Thu Sep 10 11:53:20 1998
H>From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@ics.uci.edu>
H>To: WEBDAV WG <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
H>Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 11:32:02 -0700
H>Subject: Namespace consistency
H>
H>Larry Masinter writes:
H>># DAV compliant
H>>#   resources MUST maintain the consistency of the HTTP URL namespace.
H>>
H>>Is there a definition of what 'the consistency of the HTP URL namespace'
H>>means? It's not defined anywhere, and this sentence only gives an example.
H>
H>This does appear to be an omission in the specification.
H>
H>By consistency, we meant:
H>
H>No gaps: Given HTTP URL U, for all unique HTTP URL Ux, where Ux is
H>constructed from U by removing all characters to the right of a "/", Ux MUST
H>be the HTTP URL of a WebDAV collection.
H>
H>So, if there is an HTTP URL:
H>
H>http://www.foo.bar.org/a/b/c
H>
H>Then
H>
H>http://www.foo.bar.org/a/b/
H>http://www.foo.bar.org/a/
H>
H>MUST be HTTP URLs of WebDAV collection resources.
H>
H>There are two ways to maintain this consistency when a new resource is
H>created:
H>
H>a) create intermediate collections automatically
H>b) refuse to create a resource if intermediate collections do not yet exist.
H>
H>The example in Section 4.3 implies we were recommending option b).
H>
H>Also, consistency implies:
H>
H>100% containment: Given HTTP URL U, U MUST be a member URL of the collection
H>whose URL, Uc, is contructed by removing the trailing path segment of U.
H>Exception: when U is the top-level resource, "/", of a namespace (i.e., the
H>first slash after the domain name in an HTTP URL), it belongs to no
H>collection, since it is the URI of the root collection.
H>
H>- Jim

So if I have a personal webspace, ...

http://warlok.ds.boeing.com/~howie/

.. and I choose I create a "WebDAV collection" in my space, ..

http://warlok.ds.boeing.com/~howie/a/b/c

.. am I in violation of the rules above since the URL of my personal space
is NOT of and by itself the URL of a collection?

<signed>
Howard S. Modell
 Comptg Sys.Progr-Analyst/4           POBox 3707, m/s 4A-25, Boeing ISDS
 howard.s.modell@boeing.com           Seattle, WA 98124-2207
 http://warlok.ds.boeing.com/~howie/  (206)662-0189[v] (206)662-4018[f]