From: Sankar Virdhagriswaran [mailto:sv@crystaliz.com]
Sent: Saturday, August 29, 1998 5:23 AM
To: Larry Masinter; WebDAV WG
Subject: Re: Notes from DAV WG meeting

Larry,

>Sankar:
>
>I objected to the assertion that versioning was "not very
>useful" without configuration management, since there are
>many contexts where that is not true, including in
>software development and web-site management.

Fair enough.

>Since it seems that DA-SL-V-CM is attempting to build a layered
>architecture (Distributed Authoring + Search Language +
>Versioning + Configuration Management ), it might well
>make sense to separate the Configuration Management layer
>from the Versioning layer.

From a "functionality" based argument, I support what you say. I was not
involved in the debate, so it is hard for me to say what the rationale of
others were. However, from a protocol perspective, I cannot wrap my mind
around how versioning is going to be supported independent of configuration
management when Web-DAV allows nested collections with members. Isn't
configuration management really about addressing the problem of members and
collections evolving independently of each other (i.e., be versioned)? Maybe
somebody can help answer this question.

Sankar