RE: must property names be empty and attributeless?

At 11:15 AM 7/15/98 PDT, John Tigue wrote:
>...the DTD could be modified to make it impossible to
>have attributes associated with the properties being requested

I take it that you think the answer then is "yes", that this restriction is
intended but was just never stated?

If so, your proposed solution is overkill.  If you want to restrict
property elements to being both empty and attribute-less, it's fine to just
say so in natural language in the spec.  I think it's fine if the DTD
overgenerates (to use a technical term).  You can add additional
restructions in english or in EBNF if you really want precision.  The
expressive power of the DTD language is too low, and if we tried to define
the syntax so that we could ensure that every document that was valid
according to the DTD was also legal WebDAV, we'd have to tweak the spec
considerably.  Consider the "prop" tag, for example.

Anyway, thanks for the answer.

Jim