WebDAV and Notification: SGAP protocol draft

Jim Whitehead wrote:
> > Wang HanMin wrote:
> > > I am a newer to this list,for I am considering to implement the cscw =
> > > under web.
> > I have several question below,I donot know whether it should =
> > > be debated:
> > > 1.When one use put an object to the server,how to let the other users =
> > > know the changes immediately?For example,when one create a image,the =
> > > other uesrs' screen should also show the image.As I know,http does not
> > > support the push now.So,how to do that?
> I have also heard people discuss using email (SMTP) or netnews (NNTP) for
> sending notification messages.  One current solution to this problem is
> employed by the BSCW group (http://bscw.gmd.de/) which created a separate
> notification protocol, which is received by a helper application.

There is an interesting new internet draft (not surprisingly,
written by someone who works at Lotus Development Corporation)
for a group event notification protocol.

It is called "Simple General Awareness Protocol" (SGAP), and the
name of the draft is <draft-day-sgap-00.txt>, available by FTP
at ds.internic.net or a mirror server near you.

This SGAP protocol might be exactly what you (what we ;) need
to bring synchronous notification into WebDAV.

The creator of the draft, Mr. Mark Day, was
(is?) subscribed to the WebDAV mailing list.

There seem to be some further papers about Lotus's efforts
at <http://www.lotus.com/home.nsf/welcome/research>.

Viele Gruesse,
Markus.

--